Pumpkin is one of the most powerful super foods on the planet. Pumpkin does not get much attention, however, because it’s not exotic. When it comes to “super foods,” people want to think of stuff like acai that comes from far away places. This Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie recipe is one of the healthiest things you drink eat all winter. The Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe is also delicious, satisfying, and nourishing.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
Consider some of the many benefits of pumpkin:
- Pumpkin is rich is beta carotene, which helps keep your skin healthy and youthful.
- Rich in beta-cryptoxanthins, pumpkin can help prevent arthritis and make your joints feel less sore.
- Pumpkin has a low glycemic index. Pumpkin does not spike blood sugar at all, meaning you will have steady, even levels of energy after drinking the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.
- Pumpkin is high in fiber. Pumpkin regulates your blood sugar and keeps you regular.
- Pumpkin is very filling. One can of pumpkin only has only 120-140 calories and yet you feel more full than if you ate an entire bag of potato chips.
Although pumpkin is an amazing food, by itself it can be very bland. It doesn’t taste bad per se. It’s just a boring pile of mush that isn’t very appealing unless you add in sugar and spices.
The best way to eat pumpkin is to skip the sugar and the same spices you’d use to make pumpkin pie. Here’s what you’ll need for a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.
Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake Recipe
- 1 can of pumpkin. (Note: Make sure it’s the canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix that is loaded with added sugar.
- 16 ounces of almond milk (the no-sugar added stuff) or water
- 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (vanilla tastes best)
- 2-4 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- (Note: If you don’t have separate spices or don’t want to fuss with separate spices, just by some premixed pumpkin pie spices like these.)
Blend together until it’s rich and creamy.
You can also make one of my favorite meals – Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Recipe
- Bring water or almond milk to a slow boil.
- Add in 1/2 to 1 cup of steel cut oats
- Lower the heat and simmer until the oatmeal is fully cooked
- Add in pumpkin and spices and protein (same as in the above recipe)
- Mix thoroughly.
I eat a lot of pumpkin now that it’s in season. Sometimes I drink the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie when I want a cold, refreshing shake. On colder days, I make Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.
Either way, you can’t go wrong. Both meals are super foods that will give you the energy you need to take on the day.